Mukul Chandra hails from an illustrious family of lawyers and is the third generation in this profession. He completed LLB in 2000. In a career span of almost two decades, he has represented the interest of clients and argued cases before various courts, forums, tribunals, commissions, quasi-judicial and arbitral authorities throughout India right up to the Supreme Court. He has wide exposure of dealing with cases in all spheres of civil, corporate, commercial and intellectual property right laws.
He has been associated with some of the finest law firms in Delhi where he learnt the nuances of the subject and sharpened his court craft. He is especially adept in handling high profile and sensitive transactions and litigation matters. He also possesses strong drafting, analytical and legal research skills.
Mukul has worked as a Legal Consultant/ Retainer with some of the prestigious large public sector undertakings such as Rural Electrification Corporation, Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency and National Cooperative Development Corporation etc. in the past wherein besides general advisory, he has had the opportunity to draft, negotiate and settle loan documentation for them.
He specialises in arbitration, injunction, contract, service law, consumer protection law, debt recovery law, insolvency law, property related disputes and intellectual property right matters. He has appeared before various arbitral tribunals comprising of senior advocates and retired judges of the High Court and Supreme Court including the arbitrators of the Delhi International Arbitration Centre. Alongside, Mukul has successfully handled cases under sections 9, 11, 34, 37(2) of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996.
Some of his achievements/ notable cases are as under:
- Represented Dr. A. V. Ramana Deekshitulu, Head Priest of the ancient Tirumala Tirupati Temple and belonging to one of the four hereditary priest families before the Supreme Court in a writ petition challenging his illegal removal from the said post by the TTD board.
- Represented All India Rice Exporters Association in a proceeding before the Geographical Indications Registry opposing the inclusion of the specified districts in the State of Madhya Pradesh in the Geographical Indication for Basmati Rice.
- Represented Centre for Development of Telematics, the Telecom Technology Centre of the Government of India in an arbitration before a retired judge of the Delhi High Court in a dispute with a private entity concerning ownership of software to be developed for checking the rampant misuse of telecom networks for unlawful criminal activities.
- Represented Telecom Equipment Manufacturers Association, an industry association of the producers, manufacturers and suppliers of Telecom Equipment before the Delhi High Court in a writ petition against the action of the Bharat Broadband Network Ltd. in refusing to comply with its legal and contractual obligations under an existing tender and issuing a fresh tender for procurement of identical goods i.e. Optical Fibre Cable.
- Represented Mr. Jitender Bhargava, a former Executive Director of Air India before the Competition Appellate Tribunal, New Delhi in an appeal against the order of the Competition Commission which approved acquisition of 24 % equity stake in Jet Airways (India) Ltd. by Etihad Airways PJSC on the ground that the said proposed combination would have the effect of eliminating competition in the market.